"Vigorously told deceptions and battle scenes." ~Publishers Weekly review of Eolyn

"The characters are at their best when the events engulfing them are at their worst." ~Publishers Weekly review of High Maga

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Plans and Projects

Some exciting news that extends beyond our HIGH MAGA countdown.

As some of you may know, our interdisciplinary studies course, Ecology through the Writer's Lens, did not make enrollment this spring. I suspect the competition was a little two stiff (we had three other equally fantastic travel courses offered at our tiny university) and the price a little too steep. 

So, Dr. Amy Milakovic and I have reimagined the course and will be offering it again for fall semester.  This time, our focal ecosystem will be PRAIRIE. As part of the course, we will visit the Konza Prairie in western Kansas, a long-term ecological research site and a world-class conservation center. I have been reading Prairie: A Natural History by Candace Savage, and I am getting very exciting for this new adventure!  Prairie is a magnificent ecosystem in so many ways, but little understood and invariably under appreciated. 

Here's the new video we've put together about the course:



In recent weeks, I've also, after much deliberation, decided to accept a position as co-coordinator for the Native American and Pacific Islander Research Experience (NAPIRE) Program.  I have been involved with this program, in one capacity or another, since 2006, and have talked about it often on the blog. 

I was a little nervous about accepting the co-coordinator position, as it involves a lot more responsibility -- certainly a different level of responsibility -- compared to being a research mentor, which has been my focus of activities for about eight years now. I suspect I will not be doing much writing in Las Cruces this summer, but the rewards of assuming this new role will almost certainly compensate for that.  I met the new coordinator, Barbara Dugelby, at the NAPIRE workshop last January.  She is deeply committed to the program, wonderfully organized, and very clear in her communication. I think she's going to be a joy to work with.

All this to say:  We are going to Costa Rica this summer!!  Stay tuned because as those of you who follow me know, this means weekly posts about fantastic adventures in one of the most beautiful places I know. 

If you are unfamiliar with NAPIRE, check out this information video produced by the Organization for Tropical Studies:




Last but not least, some of you may have noticed that the word count for Daughter of Aithne has frozen up during the last couple of months.  Don't worry!  I am still making progress, though it has been harder with the onset of Eric's illness and the launch of High Maga just around the corner.  But I have been working hard, whenever I can, on a revision and rewrite of the first 70,000 words. This is why the word count has not changed, though the novel is moving forward. I am very pleased with what I've been able to do, and glad I've taken the time to go back and tie up some loose ends before continuing. 

The Goodreads giveaway for Eolyn ended this morning at 12am.  The winners will be contacted shortly to arrange sending out their free signed copies.  Congratulations to all of you!

I have a second giveaway planned for High Maga this month.  As soon as Goodreads approves it, the giveaway will go live.  Four signed copies are up for grabs, so make sure to get your name on the list. Good luck!

On Friday, we continue our countdown to release day with an introduction to two more members of Eolyn's coven: the young magas Ghemena and Mariel. 

Have a great week!